Work smart tips – first day on the job
- Published on Thursday 3 March, 2016
- 2 min. to read
You’ve landed a job – well done! Now, what can you expect on your first day?
It’s quite normal to be nervous on your first day of work (and for a little while after!) until you get familiar with your workplace and co-workers.
Here are some things you can do to make your first day as stress-free as possible.
Find out beforehand:
- Is there parking onsite or is public transport available?
- How long will it take to get there? Always allow extra time in case there is traffic or an accident
- Is there a fridge if you want to bring lunch? Is there a café nearby
- Dress code
- Your start and finish times
- Who you report to
- Is there anything else you need to bring with you?
- Set your alarm earlier than necessary so you have extra time to make sure everything is ready to go
- Put your work clothes out the night before to save time in the morning
- If your clothes need ironing, do this the night before as well
- Have a good breakfast
- Approach the day with positivity and be ready to embrace your exciting new experience