Travel and relocation support for NSW apprentices and trainees

Travel and relocation support for NSW apprentices and trainees

  • Published on Monday 1 August, 2016
  • 2 min. to read


Apprentices and new entrant trainees in NSW may be eligible for travel and accommodation or relocation assistance under the NSW Government’s apprentice and trainee support schemes.

The Vocational Training Assistance Scheme (VTAS)

VTAS offers financial support for eligible apprentices and trainees who need to travel more than 120kms round trip to attend off-the-job training with a registered training provider as required under the terms of their apprenticeship or traineeship.

Assistance is available to offset some of the costs incurred for travel and accommodation and is paid as an allowance per kilometre (travel) or per day (accommodation).

For more information about VTAS, including eligibility criteria, head here.

The Continuing Apprentices Placement Services (CAPS)

CAPS provides financial support to eligible unemployed apprentices and trainees in skill shortage areas who need to relocate to continue their apprenticeship or traineeship with a new employer.

Support is offered to help meet removalist, bond and rental costs and is paid as a one-off capped reimbursement.

Find more information about CAPS, including eligibility criteria here.