QLD Youth Boost Payment – up to $20,000 for eligible employers
- Published on Wednesday 22 February, 2017
- 1 min. read
As part of the Queensland Government’s Back to Work scheme, Queensland employers may now be eligible for a Youth Boost Payment of up to $20,000.
To be eligible, employers must have hired an unemployed young person (aged 15-24) between 1 December 2016 and 28 February 2017 (inclusive).
What funding is available?
Once approved, funding of $20,000 (for a full-time employee) is paid in three parts:
- first payment of $6,000 after 4 weeks of continuous employment
- second payment of $7,000 after 26 weeks of continuous employment
- final payment of $7,000 on completion of 52 weeks of continuous employment
Eligible part-time jobs between 20 and 35 hours per week on average attract 75% of the full Youth Boost payment (i.e. $15,000 over 12 months in three payments).
Who is an eligible employee?
An eligible employee is a person who:
- is aged 15-24 years on the date they commence employment with the employer making the application
- is a permanent resident living in Queensland
- was unemployed for at least four weeks directly prior to commencing employment with the eligible employer
- commenced paid work with the eligible employer between 1 December 2016 and 28 February 2017 (inclusive)
- has worked for the employer for at least four weeks prior to application
- has not undertaken paid work for the employer in the 52 weeks prior to their commencement date
- is not a full-time student
Who is an eligible employer?
All employers who hire an eligible employee in a regional Queensland job are eligible except for government entities including local, State and Commonwealth government, government-owned corporations and statutory bodies.
Youth Boost Payments are available for apprenticeships and traineeships where the employer is not eligible for Queensland’s Apprentice Trainee rebate for payroll tax.
Applications are now open online and close 28 February 2017. Further eligibility criteria apply. To find out more, click here.