Creating a mentally healthy workplace
- Published on Wednesday 24 February, 2016
- 2 min. read
If you run your own business, you’d be aware of your legal obligation to provide a safe and healthy workplace for your staff, clients, contractors and visitors. But did you know that a healthy workplace is more than providing safety gear and removing hazards? Providing a safe workplace also means ensuring your workplace is safe for those experiencing mental health issues.
There’s no one like that at my workplace
You might not think anyone in your organisation is dealing with a mental health problem, but unless they’ve told you or show visible signs and symptoms, there’s a chance you may not ever know.
With over one million Australians living with depression, and over two million with anxiety, there’s a good chance you will face an employee who requires support at some point.
Why should I be concerned?
Apart from having a legal obligation to the safety and wellbeing of your employees, mental health issues can have a tremendous impact on your business.
Dealing with depression or anxiety can sometimes severely limit a person’s ability to function in their personal lives and at work. This, in turn, can potentially lead to:
- loss of productivity at work through increased sick leave or not being able to work at full capacity, and,
- damage to relationships with clients or colleagues
How can I support my employees?
To make it easier for business owners to create a mentally healthy workplace for their staff, Beyond Blue have developed Business in Mind.
Business in Mind is a free online resource that provides:
- Information about mental health and how to spot the signs in others
- How to approach someone you have a concern about
- Creating and maintaining a safe and healthy workplace
- Managing performance concerns
- Links to support services around the country
With one in five people in Australia experiencing a mental health issue at any given time, it’s vital that business owners are aware of, and can respond to, these concerns. The Beyond Blue Business in Mind guide provides the tools to be able to do this effectively.