First day on the job
- Published on Wednesday 2 September, 2015
- 1 min. read
Well done. You’ve landed a job. So, now what can you expect on your first day?
It is quite normal to be nervous on your first day of work — and for some days after — until you get familiar with your workplace and co-workers.
Here are some things you can do to make your first day as smooth as possible.
Find out beforehand
- Is there parking onsite or is public transport available?
- How long will it take to get there? Always allow extra time in case there is traffic or an accident
- Is there a fridge if you want to bring lunch? Is there a café nearby
- Dress code
- Your start and finish times
- Who you report to
- Is there anything else you need to bring with you?
- Set your alarm earlier than necessary so you have extra time to make sure everything is ready to go
- Put your work clothes out the night before to save time in the morning
- If your clothes need ironing, do this the night before as well
- Have a good breakfast
- Approach the day with positivity and be ready to embrace your exciting new experience