Able Australia is a leading provider of disability services for adults and community supports for seniors.
We are a diverse not-for-profit organisation offering a broad range of high quality services to enable those we support live the life they choose.
Established 50 years ago we have grown from providing help to the deafblind community, into an innovative and diverse organisation with varied service offerings. Committed to our values of trust, respect, excellence and kindness, we strive to provide the best quality care in a long term partnership with our clients and their loved ones.
Our passionate staff and volunteers have been proudly helping those we support to reach their full potential. We currently provide services in Melbourne, Tasmania, ACT and SE Queensland.
The Disability and Community Support Worker works with people with a disability in achieving individual goals, dreams and aspirations and enhancing the individual’s participation and inclusion in the community. This occurs through a variety of planned, person-centred activities and the development and enhancement of independent living and social skills. They may also be involved in advocating on behalf of the people we support and providing other assistance where required.
- A person, employed as a Disability and Community Support Worker, works under general supervision within clearly defined guidelines and undertakes a range of activities and duties requiring the application of acquired skills and knowledge. General features of this position consist of performing functions which are defined by established routines, methods, standards and procedures, with scope to exercise initiative in the application of new work practices and procedures following consultation with other members of the team. Assistance and supervision is readily available. Employees may be responsible for a range of functions and may contribute specific knowledge and/or specific skills to the work of the organisation. In addition, employees may be required to assist senior workers with specific projects.
- Employees will be expected to gain a thorough understanding of all work processes and procedures relevant to their work area and are responsible for managing time, planning and organising their own work and may be required to oversee and/or guide the work of a limited number of other employees or volunteers. Employees at this level could be required to resolve minor work procedural issues in the relevant work area within established constraints.
- The position is responsible for assisting the people we support in achieving planned, personal outcomes, which are clearly defined, measurable and regularly reviewed within the context of the individual’s requirements. This includes, but is not limited to the implementation of skill development, social and recreational activities, under limited supervision either individually, or as part of a team in the delivery of individualised disability services; the supervision or provision of a wide range of personal care services to the people we support. These services may involve components of person-centred active support plans, health care plans, mental health care plans and positive behaviour support plans.
- Perform tasks of a sensitive nature including the collection and provision of personal information required for the objective of this position, the receiving and accounting for moneys and assistance to the people we support. Assist with general administrative functions requiring the exercise of sound judgment, initiative, confidentiality and sensitivity in the performance of work.
- Staff in this position are responsible for initiating and maintaining a professional standard of communication with a broad range of individuals to ensure participant needs are met. These could include, but are not limited to, other Able Australia staff, DHS, other service providers, family members, advocates, medical and allied health professionals, the wider community and significant others.
To be eligible for an apprenticeship or traineeship you must be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or have full working rights.