Tax news your clients will thank you for
- Published on Saturday 26 September, 2015
- 2 min. read
Exemptions apply for apprentice and trainee wages
Give your clients the good news! If they sign up an apprentice or trainee and meet the eligibility criteria, all apprentice and trainee wages will be exempt from payroll tax, including:
- Motor vehicle allowances
- Overnight accommodation allowances
- Fringe benefits (including Living Away From Home Allowance)
This could represent a saving of 5.5% payroll tax over the life of an apprenticeship or traineeship. They may also be eligible for further Government financial incentives for signing up an apprentice or trainee.
Keep your clients in the know while we sort out the rest
As a trusted and professional service provider, we know your clients are looking to you for information and advice they can rely on. That’s why we’re here to help you keep them up to date and why we’ll also be here to help them take advantage of the WA payroll tax exemption.
For your clients to engage an apprentice or trainee, a Commonwealth Government Training Contract must be in place. It may sound complicated but don’t worry – that’s where we come in!
Qualifying for the tax exemption is easy
All your clients need to do is:
- Employ a new apprentice or trainee or nominate an existing employee for an apprenticeship or traineeship (excluding probationers)
- Contact MEGT so we can sign up their apprentice or trainee and check their eligibility for further Government incentives
- Leave the rest to us! We’ll register their Training Contract with the WA State Training Authority so they can claim their exemption
For more information and to contact your local apprenticeship expert, click here.
Conditions and eligibility criteria apply. Go to www.finance.wa.gov.au for more information.