Important information for TAS employers
- Published on Tuesday 13 February, 2018
- 3 min. to read
At the start of the 2017/18 financial year, the TAS Government announced new funding for eligible Tasmanian employers.
Effective 1 July 2017, Tasmanian employers who employ eligible apprentices, trainees and youth employees are now eligible for a payroll tax rebate via the Tasmanian Government’s Payroll Tax Rebate Scheme.
To receive the rebate, both the employee and employer must meet the following criteria.
- an apprentice or trainee as defined under the Training and Workforce Development Act 2013; and
- employed or engaged on a Training Contract that meets the requirements of the Training and Workforce Development Act 2013; and
- employed or engaged on an eligible Training Contract between 1 July 2017 and 30 June 2019.
- be over 15 years of age and under 25 years of age at the date of employment; and
- be employed on a part-time or full-time basis;
- not be an apprentice or trainee; and
- not have been employed or engaged by the employer on 25 May 2017 or prior; and
- be employed or engaged by the employer between 1 July 2017 and 30 June 2019.
- be registered for payroll tax
- have lodged their tax returns and paid their payroll tax by the due date to be eligible for a rebate for the same period.
How much will you get back?
Once approved, you will receive either:
- The total payroll tax paid in the relevant financial year; or
- The total payroll tax paid for eligible employee wages in the relevant financial year, whichever is less